Saturday, November 5, 2011

SUCCESS!

Bank Transfer Day was a great success all around: for the Occupy San Diego movement, for the entire 99% and Occupy Evolution Revolution... and the OccupYrCorner concept!

We rallied at the Civic Center and marched all around downtown San Diego, chanting and clapping and basically causing a commotion for all the big banks as we visited them one by one. I hopped from corner to corner, to bring the movement to the sidewalks, so passerby weren't just witnessing, but IN IT! Also, flyers were donated, so pedestrians were educated!

At the rally in front of the only Bank of America open today, speaker after speaker took their turn, informing us, educating us, sharing with us, until it was my turn. Then I took the megaphone and spoke my piece: One sign, One Message, One corner, One at a time! Out From The Corners and ONTO THE CORNERS! They understand that we are angry, they've heard us yell, now lets talk to them! Calmly, peacefully, easily: discuss your point! Or at least take advertising back and instill freedom to blossom in the minds of those too scared to try!

And you know what? They all agreed! They all understood! Claps and cheers met my speech, and wouldn't you know it: we occupied some corners! Quite a few people joined me from the fray and stood at the intersection, making sure pedestrians knew what was up and cars driving by saw every sign they could!

For a while I stuck by the rally, but then I explored and re-located to the heart of the Gaslamp. It was here, away from it all and in the middle of the everyday that the experiment truly became a success! As I stood there the same results from the times before: some passerby read the sign out loud, some to each other, some gave me quizzical looks, drivers honked and gave the thumbs up, and approached me to talk. Here's a sampling of what I heard:

"Already did that last week!"

"Never trusted the banks in the first place, been at a CU for 30 years!"

"Tell me about why Credit Unions are better than the Big Banks?"

"What is this whole thing all about? I want to know."

"Do Credit Unions do Direct Deposit? If so, I'm there!"

"My friend works at a Credit Union... I don't know why I just don't go ahead and join hers!"

And probably the winning moment of the day, the sweetest little, well-polished older lady approached me, patted me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear: "I know you're not doing this for yourself. Your doing this for everyone else. That's why it's important! I thank you!"

GOAL!

Some pics...





Occupy!

No comments:

Post a Comment