Monday, November 7, 2011

Why I want to Occupy Corners...

I'm not doing this because I don't have a job. Or I don't want to pay taxes, or my student loans. I do have a job. I do those things. I created my job. I own my own business and work with my business partner to help people in the non-profit and healthcare industry every day. It's not that I'm protesting just for me. Sure I am. But it's also for them.

I see how hard they struggle to help rehabilitate car accident victims, to build children's museums, to make sure deaf people's needs are met, and take care of others infirm elderly parents or disabled children. They toil and sacrifice because all of the resources necessary to help those in need have been sapped by the greed of the few who by kissing ass, being in the right place at the right time, and sheer duplicitous practices have placed themselves temporarily in a position where they have hoarded the wealth and power of this country.

I march and protest for that homeless and jobless percentage across the country that have the time to stand at the foot of these paper-thin corporate and bought governmental giants and fight 24 hours a day in the face of rabid drivers, rain, and arrest. I protest for those that have lived and died as members of the 99% years before a drum was beat in Zuccotti Park.

I protest on corners for my niece and millions like her: who paid all her dues, aced all her classes, and is drowning in American Graduate debt because she just can't find a job that matches the demands of life and her escalating loan payments.

I march to say "fuck you" to the limited "if you aren't rich, blame yourself" mentality as it disrespects careers such as teachers and nurses and construction workers that will never have the possibility for millionaire success, because those who enter such fields don't have it in them to rape and pillage the savings and futures of their fellow woman and man.

I protest to shine light on the face of greed, so it can't stand the sight of itself...





(Inspired by a negative post on Facebook somewhere...)

No comments:

Post a Comment